Frequently Asked Questions

Q We show films, TV and other content that we either broadcast on TV or that we have purchased on DVD or rented through our online streaming service subscription. Do we still need a licence to view or show it in public?
A Yes. The location requires a licence regardless of who owns the content. While you may have rented, borrowed, or purchased an audiovisual programme, you are only granted the right to view it for personal, private use, not to perform it in public.
Q We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. A licence is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. However, the MPLC Umbrella Licence® covers only those situations where admission is not charged.
Q We’re a non-profit organisation. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. Under the law, it doesn’t matter if you’re a non-profit or for-profit organisation. You are required to have a public exhibition licence to show motion pictures and other audiovisual works.
Q How much does the MPLC Umbrella Licence cost?
A In most cases, MPLC® has set licence fees based on the type and size of facility. However, if the facility and/or use falls outside of these categories, the fee will be based on the nature and size of the audience and anticipated frequency of showings.
Q Does a pre-school qualify for an educational exemption?
A The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 section 34 provides that certain performances (e.g. Restricted to teachers and pupils at an “educational establishment”) are not a public exhibition for the purposes of infringement of copyright. Section 174 of the Act summarises the meaning of “educational establishment” including “school”. However, in law, nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups and the like are not such establishments. Accordingly, the use of our studio partners copyright material in those premises, whether as part of any government curriculum or otherwise, does need to be licenced with MPLC.
Q We're not open to the general public. Do we still need a licence?
A Yes. Even if the guests are limited to members-only, any location outside of the home is considered public for copyright purposes and requires a licence.
Q We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
A Yes. The facility owner can be held vicariously liable or considered a “contributory infringer”.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact MPLC at +44 (0)1323 649 647 send us an email to